Cars for Homes
Donate a vehicle to Cars for Homes, Habitat Lake County’s car donation program, to help support local families.
Your car donation is one more way that you can support our work right here in Lake County. When you donate to Habitat Lake County we make it quick and easy. Your donation may also be a tax deduction.
We accept cars, trucks, RV’s, vans, SUV’s, boats and motorcycles whether they are running or not. Towing is free!
Learn More About How it Works
Top Rated Vehicle Donation Program by Forbes Advisor
We’re proud that Forbes Advisor listed Habitat for Humanity as one of the best vehicle donation programs! The ranking was based on the efficiency and impact our vehicle donation program has on our mission.
This means each dollar from your vehicle donation will make an even greater impact right here in our community!
Frequently Asked Questions
- All net proceeds from the sale of your vehicle will support Habitat for Humanity and help local families here in our communities. Your donation automatically is distributed to our local affiliate based on your zip code!
- Your vehicle donation may qualify for a tax deduction.
It’s fast and easy. Learn more about how vehicle donations work.
You can donate your car in 3 easy steps:
- Start your donation online by navigating to our donation wizard, or call our hotline: 1-877-277-4344
- Our team will ask about your vehicle, including the make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN) and current mileage.
- When your vehicle is accepted, schedule a day and time for us to pick it up.
Habitat for Humanity accepts all kinds of vehicles including cars, trucks, SUV’s, RV’s, motorcycles, boats, planes, snowmobiles, farm equipment and more. If you have any questions, feel free to call our team at 877-277-4344.
Absolutely! Your vehicle does not need to be running in order to donate it. But, it does need to have all tires inflated.
When you vehicle is sold, that will determine the value. If your vehicle sells for more than $500, you may be eligible to deduct the full selling price. If your vehicle sells for $500 or less, you can deduct the “fair market value” of your vehicle, up to $500. We recommend that you talk to your tax advisor to determine your personal tax deduction situation.
- The state of Illinois will require a Certificate of Title in order to donate your car.
- To complete your car donation, transfer your title by entering the name of the agency that processes our car donations, ADVANCED REMARKETING SERVICES in the buyer/purchaser field. Then, PRINT and SIGN your name in the seller/owner field EXACTLY as it appears at the top of the title.
About half of our cars are sold to licensed dealers at wholesale auctions and are reused for transportation. The other half are typically transported to auto salvage yards where all reusable car parts, batteries, tires and fluids are removed. Vehicles that can be recycled are crushed, shredded and recycled into steel.